|Lightroomers Guide to Lightroom
Sylvan Duration: 4
Weeks Cost: US$195
Are you a new to intermediate Lightroom user who is looking to take your Lightroom experience to the next level? Do you have the basics down, but still want to know more? Does Lightroom drive you crazy sometimes? Would you like to learn how to better integrate Lightroom into other aspects of your digital life? Would you like to avoid common problems and learn from the mistakes of others? Well then this is the course designed for you. After answering questions from thousands of Lightroom users over the last 3 years I created a course that covers the most common things people have been struggling to understand while integrating Lightroom into their photography workflow.
There are many aspects of Lightroom that are incredibly intuitive and easy to use, but at the same time Lightroom has introduced a new paradigm in the form of parametric editing and the use of a database (or catalog). In my experience, relying on old assumptions in a new paradigm is the leading cause of frustration to new Lightroom users. Becoming oriented to how things work in this new paradigm opens the door to a more efficient workflow and expands the possibilities of what you can do with your photos.
There is also a whole (growing) world of Lightroom plugins that are being developed by a passionate group of Lightroom users that add new (and absolutely vital) functionality to a Lightroom workflow. The plugins that I cover are either free or require only a small donation to use (plus they come with free trial periods).
My goal for this class is that by the end you will be working smarter, faster and doing more with Lightroom than you originally thought possible. To that end, this course covers the following topics:
Lesson 1: Becoming Your Own Help Desk
Lesson 2: Fundamental File Management
- Knowing where all Lightroom files are located.
- Preventing Lightroom from taking over your hard drive.
- Making Lightroom work faster.
- Fixing common problems.
- Creating a bombproof backup.
Lesson 3: Export Essentials
- Understanding how Lightroom handles differnt file types.
- Moving photos and folders to new drives.
- Reconnecting missing files and folders.
- Working with offline photos.
- Sharing catalogs between two computers.
- Migrating your Lightroom catalog to a new computer.
Lesson 4: Integrating Lightroom Into Your Life
- Getting to know the plug-in manager.
- Understanding the difference between an export plugin and a
- Controlling the metadata included in exported photos.
- Applying custom watermarks for all types of output.
- Applying borders on export.
- Exporting to your email client.
- Expanding your web gallery arsenal.
- Optimizing web galleries for search engines.
- Embedding GPS data into your photos.
- Integrating Lightroom with your social networks.
- Integrating Lightroom with your blog.
Lightroom 2 or later Click
Here to View Recommended Software for This Class.
Instructor: Rob Sylvan
Rob Sylvan is a freelance photographer, teacher, and author, who is also the Lightroom Help Desk Specialist for the National Association of Photoshop Professionals and Tech Desk Specialist for Kelby Training, an instructor for the Perfect Picture School of Photography, and formerly the Site Director for iStockphoto. Rob writes the "Under the Loupe" column for Photoshop User Magazine and is the author of Lightroom 2 for Dummies, Lightroom 3 Video QuickStart Guide, Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots, and Taking Stock. Please visit his website http://www.lightroomers.com.